2011 Victorian Gold Panning Championships
Victorian Gold Panning Championships
Sunday 9th October 2011
Central Deborah Gold Mine
Test the speed and accuracy in which you can recover 5 to 12 pieces of gold from a container of seeded gravel within 10 minutes using a gold pan for your chance to win some fantastic prizes. The competition is open to anyone of any age and any skill level and is seen as a stepping stone to the World Championships. Even if you’re not interested in competing we have a host of activities lined up which are sure to capture your imagination!
9:30am – 1:30pm
You can enter as many times as you like, provided there is a heat open for entry. Keep in mind ... the overall winner is the panner with the best aggregate time from the Skilled and Traditional Pan finals, so you will need to register for both of these categories.
||Additional Attempts (Each)|
|Children (under 12 yrs)||$5.00 per heat||$5.00 per heat|
|Youths (13-16 yrs)||$5.00 per heat||$5.00 per heat|
|Novice||$10.00 per heat||$5.00 per heat|
|Skilled||$15.00 per heat||$10.00 per heat|
|Traditional Pan||$15.00 per heat||$10.00 per heat|
|Batea Pan||$10.00 per heat||$5.00 per heat|
- Heats: 10:00am – 2:30pm
- Teams Challenge: 2:30 - 3:00pm
- Sponsors Challenge: 3:00pm - 3:30
- Finals: 3:30pm – 4:00pm
Finals are for the Skilled and Traditional Pan categories only, all other category winners will be determined by the fastest time obtained in the heats.
- Overall Winner: Trip to the 2011 New Zealand Gold Panning Championships
(The overall winner will be the panner with the best aggregate time from the Skilled and Traditional Pan finals)
- The winner of each category will receive a trophy
- All participants will receive a certificate of participation
The day will also include:
- Gold Pour Demonstrations (Free): Watch as our resident blacksmith melts and pours gold using authentic mining equipment from the 1890s and shares tales of days gone by.
- Cage Rider ($5/person): Put on your brave face and plummet underground in the original miner’s cage that was used in the 1950s. Then disembark for a brief introduction into what conditions were really like for miners during the harsh gold rush era. Children must be at least 5 years of age to ride in the cage.
- Underground Tours (normal prices apply): Don a hard hat and miner’s lamp to descend underground on one of our fascinating tours. Explore the honeycomb of hidden tunnels with one of our friendly and knowledgeable guides on a Mine Experience Tour, Underground Adventure Tour or the new Nine Levels of Darkness Tour.
- The surface of Central Deborah Gold Mine and our Mine Experience Tour are wheelchair accessible
- Free parking is available
- A BBQ lunch and drinks will be on sale
- Access to the surface of the Mine is free of charge
Are you interested in volunteering on the day?
Click here to see what happened at the 2010 Victorian Gold Panning Championships
On behalf of Central Deborah Gold Mine and the Victorian Gold Panning Association we would like to thank the following sponsors for their kind contribution to the success of the 2011 Championships.
- Bendigo Gold World
- Fosterville Gold Mine
- Gold & Relics
- Bendigo Mining
- Mine Services Victoria
- Prospectors and Miner's Association
- Central Victorian Mobile Cranes
- KCH Pavers & Garden Suppliers
- Coiltek Gold Centre
Not sure where to find us? Click here for directions!