What are your operating hours? Central Deborah Gold Mine is open from 9:30am – 4:30pm every day except Christmas Day.
Do I need to make a reservation? Reservations are recommended for our Mine Experience Tour and Underground Adventure Tour, but are not essential. Reservations are essential for our Nine Levels of Darkness Tour and for groups of 10 or more.
Is there an age limit on any of the tours?
- Mine Experience Tour: 3 years of age and over. Everyone who descends underground must wear a hard hat at all times.
- Underground Adventure Tour: 8 years of age and over.
- Nine Levels of Darkness: 14 years of age and over.
How long are the tours?
- Mine Experience Tour: 75 minutes.
- Underground Adventure Tour: 2.5 hours.
- Nine Levels of Darkness: 3.5 hours.
- Allow at least 45 minutes to explore the surface of the mine.
Are tours guided? Yes, you will be taken underground by one of our friendly, knowledgeable and expertly trained guides.
What is the temperature underground?
- Level 2 (Mine Experience Tour): An average of 14 degrees.
- Level 3 (Underground Adventure Tour): An average of 17 degrees.
- Level 9 (Nine Levels of Darkness): An average of 19 degrees.
Is this a real gold mine? Yes, Central Deborah Gold Mine operated from 1939 to 1954 and produced almost one ton (929kg) of gold during this period. Read more about Central Deborah's history here.
Will I see real gold? Yes, on each of our underground tours you will be shown how to look for gold and you will be able to see gold in its natural state.
Are there lights underground? The only light underground is the light that comes from your cap lamp and the lamps from the other members of your tour group.
What should I wear? It is recommended that you wear closed footwear and dress for the temperature which is on average 14 degrees centigrade.
Do we walk around underground? Yes, you will descend underground in a lift and will then be guided on foot through the underground tunnels by your tour guide.
Are cameras allowed on the tour? Yes, handheld cameras are allowed. Camera equipment and large camera cases are not, these can be left at reception.
Are strollers allowed underground? Strollers cannot be taken underground but you are welcome to leave them at reception.
Are the tours wheelchair accessible?
- Level 2 (Mine Experience Tour) is wheelchair accessible.
- Levels 3 - 9 (Underground Adventure Tour and Nine Levels of Darkness) are not wheelchair accessible as ladder climbing is involved.
Are backpacks allowed underground? Backpacks are not allowed underground. You are welcome to leave them at reception in a secure locker.
Do you have a parents/baby changing room? Yes, our baby’s change room is located on the mine’s surface.
What is air quality like underground? There is good air flow throughout the mine.
Am I able to hire the mine as a venue for a function? Yes, Central Deborah Gold Mine has the only underground function room available for hire in Australia.
What is your cancellation policy? Cancellations received within five days of the tour date will be fully refunded. Cancellations received between 2-5 days of the tour date will be charged a 10% cancellation fee. Cancellations within 48 hours of the tour date will be charged the full amount for the tour.
Is smoking allowed? No, we have a strict no smoking policy at Central Deborah Gold Mine, both above and underground.