With only the light on your helmet to light the path, your students will become enthralled by Bendigo's fascinating underworld as they explore the honeycomb of hidden underground tunnels. Our tour guides will explore Bendigo's golden heritage with your students, the geology of the rock formations they encounter, demonstrate the mining methods that were practised on the Deborah Reef and explain what it was like to be a miner during the harsh gold rush era.
Victorian History Curriculum:
Years 5 & 6 – The Australian Colonies; Years 9 & 10 – Australia and Asia.
- Personal Tour Guide/s (Maximum pax per guide: 20-22)
- Helmet and cap lamp for each participant
- Access to explore the surface of the mine after your tour, this is a self-guided experience. Students can try their hand at gold panning for riches, climb the poppet head for one of the best views of Bendigo and explore the treasure trove of vintage mining machinery that is on display. NB! Please allow extra time in your schedule to explore the surface and pan for gold.
What to bring:
- Enclosed footwear: The ground is rough and wet.
- Warm clothing, it is an average of 16 degrees underground.
- Camera, you won't want to forget this adventure.
- Pocket money. We have a fantastic gift shop with affordable keep sakes to help your students remember their journey underground.
How much time you should allow for a Mine Experience Tour:
- Groups of 10-20: 1.5 hours min.
- Groups of 20-40: 1.75 hours min. Students are split into two groups.
- Groups of 40-60: 2 hours min. Students are split into three groups.
- Groups of 60-80: 2.25 hours min. Students are split into four groups.
- Groups 80+: 2.5 hours min. Students are split into five groups.
- Please allow an extra 30-45 minutes if you would like your group to explore the surface of the mine.